Nominations from all University of Minnesota schools and colleges are encouraged.
The Academy for Excellence in Health Science Research serves as the highest recognition of excellence in health science research by a full time faculty member at the University of Minnesota. Those selected will have demonstrated excellence in research as measured by impact in basic and/or applied health science at the lab, clinic, school, community, and/or population level. Impact may be measured by contributions to one particular problem or a sustained record of excellence in many problems. All members of the Academy will also have demonstrated the highest level of ethics and professionalism during their career.
- Nominee: Must be a current, paid full-time member of the faculty. Faculty at all ranks are eligible.
- Nominator: Must be a current member of the University of Minnesota faculty or faculty emeritus. Self-nominations are not permitted. Nominators are responsible for submitting the completed nomination packet.
- Letter from nominator: Should summarize how the nominee’s research rises to the highest level of excellence. The nominator should cite appropriate metrics and outcomes to demonstrate the outstanding nature of the nominee’s health research impact. Nominators may provide additional guidance as to which metrics in a particular field are deemed most relevant and reliable. This document should not exceed three pages.
- Vita: Complete vita.
- Two reference letters: Reference letters must be written by people external to the University of Minnesota. They should discuss and contextualize the nominee's excellence in health research.
- Photo of Nominee: Include a photo of the nominee at time of submission (JPEG format). (If nominee is selected for the award, this photo will be used for the wall plaque etching.)
- Combine into a single PDF with materials in the following order:
- Nomination letter
- Nominee’s full CV
- Two reference letters
- Nominator should send final PDF along with the nominee’s JPEG photo to [email protected] by Friday, November 13, 2020 at 4:00 pm.
The current members of the Academy for Excellence in Research, Associate Deans of Research in the six health science schools, and other reviewers selected by the Associate Vice President for Research will serve as the review committee and will review and evaluate materials for each nominee. Based upon this review, the Associate Vice President for Research will forward the recommendations to the Vice President for Research, who will have final authority on election of new members.
It is our hope that an in person ceremony can be held early next year once the Sunrise Plan has been fully implemented and University of Minnesota leadership has approved a venue that will allow us to follow any recommended safety guidelines. Final details regarding the awards ceremony will be announced as soon as they are available.
For general questions, contact Michael Oakes, Associate Vice President for Research ([email protected])